Manchester United missed out on the UEFA Champions league spot after finishing 6th in the premier league which means that Cristiano Ronaldo will be playing in the Europa league next season.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are the two greatest rivalry that have ever existed in football because of their consistency and longevity, they are without doubts regarded as the greatest players of all time. But Cristiano Ronaldo is considered the best player in champions league history because of the records he has set in the competition, It’s a shame that the 37 year old striker won’t be playing in the competition he loves next season.
Lionel Messi is behind Cristiano Ronaldo in many champions league records set by the Portuguese, it’s an opportunity for the Argentine international to break many of Ronaldo’s records in the competition next season. Here are 10 Ronaldo’s records that could be broken by Messi next season;
- Most goals in champions league history: Cristiano Ronaldo has 140 while Messi is 125, Messi needs to score 15 goals to equal the record.
- Most assists in the champions league: Ronaldo- 42, Messi- 36.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the player with the the most goals scored in a single champions league campaign (17).
- Most champions league Hattricks: Ronaldo and Messi has 8 hattricks each in the competition, Messi will be hoping to overtake him next season.
- Ronaldo has 12 freekick goals while Messi has is 5, he can also break the record next season.
- Most braces(2 goals in a match) in champions league history: Ronaldo- 38, Messi- 34.
- Ronaldo and Messi share the record of the most opponents scored against (38), Lionel Messi could overtake him next season.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has five champions league title, Messi will equal his record if he wins it next season with PSG.
- Most assists in champions league knockout stages: Ronaldo- 15, Messi- 12.
- Most penalty goals scored: Ronaldo- 18, Messi- 17.
Which of these records do you think Lionel Messi will not be able to break next season?.