The Public Relations Officer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Mustapha Salifu has refuted claims that the maternity block of the hospital has been gutted by fire.
Reports were rife on social media late Tuesday night of a supposed fire outbreak at the hospital’s maternity ward with videos showing evacuation of newly born babies.
The person filming the incident had claimed that the Ghana National Fire Service had been called but its personnel were yet to get to the hospital to help douse the flame.
But speaking to citinewsroom.com, Mr. Salifu said such reports were false.
“It is a false alarm to create panic,” he said.
The PRO explained that an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom instead developed a slight problem and caught fire, but the situation was quickly contained.
Fire outbreak at Korle Bu in November 2020
The last time a fire incident was recorded at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital was on November 30, 2020.
Three patients diagnosed with COVID-19 who were on admission at the time were transferred to the University of Ghana Medical Centre after the fire outbreak at the medical ICU.
In the early hours of Monday, November 30, 2020, fire gutted the ICU as a result of an electrical fault from a socket in the ward.
Mustapha Salifu, at the time said, all the necessary steps were taken to evacuate all three patients who were in the ICU.
“The fire was detected early, so we were able to handle it as soon it started. The COVID-19 patients are safe and under control. There were also no casualties involved as a result of the outbreak,” he said.